Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day 2007

Nick was in college and I was teaching kindergarten in Kyle. He unfortunately had a big test the day after Valentine's Day. I told him that he didn't have to worry about Valentine's Day, I would take care of everything. Apparently, that is the WRONG thing to say to any male. Since I love to cook and he loves to eat, it wouldn't be hard to satisfy him. I made a huge heart-shaped ribeye and sides along with our favorite champagne. He had class until 6ish so I did all of this at his apartment. When he arrived, there were rose petals and candles all over the apartment, a candle-lit dinner waiting for him, chocolate dipped strawberries, and several other romantic things I won't mention. Everything was beautiful! He was shocked when he walked in. We sat down to eat and I gave him his card. He gave me a sweet card and we started to eat. Of course, I was immediately upset, but didn't want to show him that. It's not about the gift, to me it's about showing that person that you love them by doing something special for them. We sat around for a while and talked and then he started studying. That was it...that was our Valentine's Day. I went to lay in his bed while he studied, by this time he already had an earful. He went outside and came back in with a check for $300. WHAT?? What nerve he had to give me a check for $300! It had no meaning or thought behind it and I DID NOT want it. I tore it up and he proceeded to tell me it was to help me pay for new mattresses. He had just gotten new ones that I loved so much so he thought I should get myself some. Hummm....definitely NOT a very good Valentine's Day AT ALL!

The next day I went to school and boo-hooed to my teacher friends. I VERY RARELY cry in front of people, but it was terrible! They new everything that I did for him and told me that he really thought I really meant I would "take of everything." I got over it because I knew he didn't mean to cause me any pain. He felt terrible about his mess up and tried to redeem himself by sending me flowers the next day, which was our anniversary. It was a nice gesture, but didn't make up for the day before. So, today is the day that he gets to redeem himself for last years screw up
and guess what HE HASN'T redeemed himself YET and I don't really have high expectations that he will!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

A CHECK? That's awful! How did he go from a totally thought out picnic, a secret charm, and a sunset... to a check? I hope he does better this year. I would have thought he'd learned his lesson. Let us know how it pans out!

Anonymous said...

I busted out laughing when I got to the check part. How in the world did he come to the conclusion that a $300 check would make things better? Too funny...well not for you when it happened, but pretty entertaining for us reading. Where do guys come up with these things? *Bonnie

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear how Valentines 2008 went? Oh wait... I already know most of it!! Sorry for having to lead you on...You know you still luv me