Monday, February 18, 2008

Engagement announcements in the newspaper

Yesterday our announcement came out in the Victoria Advocate.

Here is the link:
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/831/story/195892.html

I rushed out and got the paper as soon as I woke up. I thought it ended up looking pretty good. The Wharton one was too dark and the Shiner one was too light, this one looked like it was supposed to.

Last night, at around 8:30pm, we decided that we should go buy a few extra papers to give to anyone who didn't get one and a few for ourselves. Little did we know that this would take 30 minutes to do. We went to the Conoco that's closest to the house. No Victoria Advocates. We stopped at the Donut Shop. We saw the rack and Nick went to get one. Sunday papers cost $1.25. Run across the street to Diamond Shamrock to get quarters. They only had 5 quarters so they wouldn't give them to us. Went to the next place, next to the donut shop. The girl gave us some quarters there. Nick was approached by a homeless, "crippled" man while I was getting the quarters. He's always on the streets drinking, so I don't feel sorry for him. I was scared and jetted to the truck as he was walking back into the car. I think the girl in the store was a little scared too. She was pretending to talk on the phone. I made Nick wait a little while until he left so I knew she was ok. So, back to the Donut Shop. They only had one paper. I hate to admit this, but we were planning on stealing a couple extra newspapers since the night was almost over. We figured no one else would be buying them anymore. On to a few more gas stations. Best Stop first to get more quarters. She too, was short on them. We passed on getting the Advocate there since she could see us steal them. Ugh...I'm starting to feel bad about this. Someone tell me it was ok! We went to the racks by the Chinese restaurant, they were sold out too. Onward to HEB, sold out. On to Svatek's, don't carry them. The lady recommended Diamond S. So on to Diamond S we go. Finally, a rack that wasn't sold out. Nick couldn't get the money to stay in the machine. He tried several times and it finally opened. There was a stack of papers in the machine. Right as he opens it, a truck driver comes up to him and asks where Alabama Road was. Nick is holding the door of the rack open and giving the guy directions. The guy finally goes in and Nick takes 3 papers. I wasn't going to do the stealing, but I guess if he goes to jail, I'll go with him! We only ended up stealing two, buy one get one free.

Throughout this whole blog I felt bad and couldn't believe I would tell everyone what we did, but I just justified our thievery and don't feel bad anymore. We spent $92 on an ad that was about 3 inches big and they didn't send us a paper for it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the announcement in the Victoria paper this weekend and I thought you guys looked great!
~Melanie

Abby said...

I also loved the picture! So cute!

Anonymous said...

I saw your announcement and thought it was very nice. I thought your blog was cute too, but did you know the paper will send you half a dozen copies of your announcement (that's included in the cost of the ad - been there/done that). Congratulations!!