Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chaos at school

This school year has been very stressful on our principals and staff. First of all, we are building a new middle school to house 2nd-5th grades. The school that I am at is being turned into an alternative school. Therefore, every PK-5th grade class has to pack everything and move. Whether it be to the new school or to a new room, no one knows. At the beginning of the year, our superintendent decided to retire. He was going to let all the principals know which campus they would be at in November. November turned into December. December turned into February. February turned into yesterday.

Sally called us in for a meeting this morning and told us that she would not be with us at Sivells, the pre-k through 1st campus. It's very depressing because she is a wonderful principal. She's very easy to get along with, fair, and most importantly kid-friendly. She pops into our classrooms twice a day, she supports any activity we do, and she knows almost every student by name. She was fighting back the tears this morning as we all hugged her. When I did, she asked if I was going to keep teaching kindergarten. I knew from an experience I had last year, that I did not want to work with a certain someone. I told her that if a 2nd grade job came open at the new school, that I'd go with her. At lunch, Sally grabbed me and said that I was going to 2nd grade. I've heard that 2nd grade is one of the best grades to teach, so I'm really excited about it, but also very nervous. I love all the fun, kiddie activities I get to do with the little ones, but a switch will be good. I should know tomorrow what the verdict is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! It's settled then -- on to 2nd great.

You get to teach them cursive!!!!!! I'll never forget Mrs Valis teaching me cursive.

You will be great and will get to see your kindergarteners again in a year!

Jamie

Abby said...

And you thought you were going to have nothing to do this summer...

Anonymous said...

I hope it all works out! It sucks to have such chaos but I guess now you can LOTS to do this summer :)
Bons

Tracy said...

2nd grade sounds like lots of fun! You'll do great - CONGRATS!