Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Story for Our Grandkids...

Last night I went to a Premier Jewelry show at my friend, Lindsey's house. Nick had his LDE contest yesterday and his teams didn't do as well as he hoped. We decided that we would meet up at Los Cucos after the jewelry show. Nick went with the other two Ag teachers, Jason and GW, to have a couple of drinks. We met, ate, and started to head home. Down the middle of Wharton is a four lane highway. Somehow Nick took another road and ended up in front of me. He calls and says that he's going to beat me home. Like I'm not going to take on a challenge! I ended up in front of him because he got stuck behind some slow cars. He starts speeding up to me, so naturally, I sped up too. We're on the phone with each other at the same time. We're not going REAL fast, just about 55 and gaining speed. I kept saying, "Please no cops, please no cops!" Nick says, "OH S#&%!" I hung up. The cop proceeds to pull out behind Nick. Then I tried calling him back to tell him to eat a peppermint in case you could smell beer. Nick pulls over and the cop passes him and comes to get me! I really could only laugh because who does this with their fiance? Come on, I'm 25 and you'd think that I'd know better. We were only about a mile from the house too. So the cop comes and says he clocked me going 66 in a 45! WHOA! He asked if I had a medical emergency or if I had something in the oven I needed to get out. No sir. Then he asked if I knew the person behind me. No sir. You see, the lanes merge to one lane where we were. I told him that the person behind me started to scare me because he was gaining speed and I knew the lanes turned into one and I didn't know what to do so I sped up. "Well, ma'am, do you know that your inspection sticker is out?" Oh crap! This is going to be a hellacious ticket! I told him no, but I really did know it was. It's only out by a couple of days. While he goes to his car, I'm texting Nick about the sticker, etc. He comes back and says, "I should give you a ticket, but I'm just going to give you a warning." Whew! Thank you, Jesus.

Anyways, I was glad that I got stopped and not Nick especially since he had a few beers. I'm sure the cop wouldn't have thought Nick was as cute as me either!

We learned our lesson. Unfortunately, we really do have to grow up sometimes. I still think it's kinda funny. :)

No comments: