Friday, December 19, 2008

Week 6

I found this rather entertaining and very true.

http://3dpregnancy.parentsconnect.com/calendar/6-weeks-pregnant.html

While you won't be able to find out the gender of your baby for several more weeks, the version you'll give birth to is being determined right now. Of course, your mother-in-law already knows it'll be a boy. And your sister is sure that it's a girl. And the medical expert that is your 5-year-old nephew says it's absolutely a boy (and if it's a girl, he doesn't want anything to do with it). Isn't it wonderful how clairvoyant people are?

Wondering what's up with your body, your baby and your life this week?

What You're Thinking: "If I put my head in my hands and stare down at my desk, it'll look like I'm working really hard and nobody will know I'm actually sleeping."

*(This has definitely gone through my head several times! Too bad that the 19 kids in my class watch my every move!)

Your Body
You may be feeling super-tired or nauseous (or super-tired and nauseous-lucky you!) and your boobs are most likely killing you. *(Definitely killing me!) This is due to the myriad of hormones raging through your body at levels rivaling a teenage boy's.

If you can't stay awake for the second half of Grey's Anatomy, blame it on the baby. Extreme exhaustion is often one of the first signs of pregnancy, and while your body will probably regain some of its strength by the time you enter your second trimester, you might find yourself nodding off during Dr. McDreamy's love scenes ... or worse, yours!

Your Baby
This week starts a period of rapid cellular development for your baby-to-be, who looks like a mini tadpole, with a tiny head and tail. His or her eyes, ears and mouth have begun to form (though they're a little more Discovery Channel "creatures of the sea" documentary than Gerber Baby at this point).

Other exciting milestones include:

Your baby's heart is now beating to a regular beat, although it's still too faint to hear.

His or her arm buds are just beginning to, well, bud. They look like teensy swollen bumps at this point. In a few days, they'll resemble itsy-bitsy flippers.

Your baby has grown to ⅛ inch long-about the size of one of the chocolate sprinkles on your last cupcake (and your last ice cream cone, and your last sundae and your last giant cookie ... maybe there is something to those rumors about pregnancy cravings!).

*(No lie about the sweets. The "Double Doozie" I had on Monday probably wasn't a good idea, but the baby wanted it! J)

On another note, I had my belly touched for the first time by a co-worker today. How annoying! She's a good friend of mine, so it really didn't bother me. I just told her that it's just the fat that was there before! For all of the women out there...if I have ever touched your belly before you started to show, I'm so sorry!

No comments: