Monday, December 15, 2008

One Down...

Our first appointment was a little nerve-racking. It all started on the way to Houston. We were early until we got to Sugar Land and the traffic was stopped due to a wreck. We sat there for about 30 minutes….and I was stressing! How terrible it will look to be late to our 1st appointment? Traffic finally starts moving (slowly) at about 1:00. Our appointment was at 1:30 in the Medical Center. We were next to Memorial Hermann at 1:30. I called the hospital to let them know we would be running late and they were very nice about it. We finally got to Texas Women's at about 1:40. We checked in and wait in Dr. Cone's office to meet with him. He walked in and I was a little nervous because he was kind of short with us. He immediately redeemed himself and was very friendly. After a short little meeting we went back to wait for the ultrasound. All of the nurses were very friendly every time they walked by. They called us in for the ultrasound and my hands start sweating like crazy. Lying on that table is soooo uncomfortable, but I'd imagine I'll be getting over that rather quickly. Dr. Cone walked in and starts “the procedure.” I was looking at Nick and doing everything I can not to laugh at him. I think he looked more uncomfortable than me. Dr. Cone said that we are definitely pregnant and then says, “Hummm.” Not what you want to hear! He continues to look around and not say anything. At this point I'm wondering if it's in the right place. He finishes up his business and tells me to sit up. He says that the baby is in the right place. Thank God! But according to my calculations (guesses) on dates we should be 6 ½ weeks pregnant, but the sack is measuring only 5 ½ weeks. He explained to us that it could possibly be an abnormal pregnancy and miscarriage would happen if our dates were correct. If our dates were off, the pregnancy is great and progressing well. He told us to come back on the 22nd for another ultrasound. When we were walking out of the hospital we started really thinking about my last menstrual cycle. We came to the conclusion that it was at the beginning of November which put us at exactly 5 ½ weeks pregnant. A ton of weight was lifted off of our shoulders. At the next appointment we should be 7 weeks and a heartbeat should be detected.

Here's a little background on our doctor:

Dr. Cone has been with OGA for 11 years. Dr. Cone's patient-friendly practice encourages you to be an active partner in your health care. He and his staff strive to develop and nurture relationships with their patients while offering state-of-the-art technologies and scientifically-proven medical therapies.

Dr. Cone practices obstetrics, gynecology and infertility with a special interest in laparoscopic surgery. In addition to his practice, Dr. Cone is also a clinical instructor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

Dr. Cone has a special interest in minimally invasive surgery. He has been a leader at the Woman's Hospital of Texas in developing techniques to perform laparoscopic hysterectomies and laparoscopic repair of pelvic prolapse. He is involved in several clinical trials in conjunction with Baylor College of Medicine in looking at the long term outcomes of these relatively new procedures.

He and his wife reside in Houston with their three children.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

We didn't see Tate's heartbeat at the first appt either, but went back at 6wk5days and saw it then.

One appt. down only 13 or 14 more to go!

Abby said...

So sorry it was so stressful.

Dr. Cone's rushed-ness is my biggest complaint about him. He is off and on personable, but we think he knows his stuff and he didn't make me go on bed rest for 19 weeks, so that makes me happy.

Never worry about being late, because I waited over an hour for an appointment once, I then learned to try and schedule my appointment for either first thing in the morning or first thing in the afternoon. If I was running behind I would call and tell them that I was stuck in traffic (i.e. eatting at wings n more) and would be running a bit behind. Living so far out in the boon docks seamed to give us some leeway.

Give us an update after your appointment next week!!