Monday, December 1, 2008

The Most Thankful Thing!

Nick and I have so many things to be thankful for. First of all, we have families that are out of this world, friends that keep our life fun and interesting, and a cozy home that is ours. Of course we have lots of other things we are thankful for that are going unmentioned. This Thanksgiving was like no other. We are absolutely THRILLED and OVERJOYED since we found out that we are pregnant with our first child.

It all started last Monday. I started to feel like I had the flu. Usually when I get sick, its the 24 hour flu. Tuesday came and I was still ill. So ill that we went to Los Cucos and I didn't eat anything but two tortillas and a few chips. We went to the Christmas parade and I was queasy the entire time. We were supposed to go back to Cucos with Stephanie and Garrett for a few beers, but there was no way I could go. Wednesday we didn't have school so I stayed in bed all day while Nick went to his place in Pledger. When he got back home, I told him that we needed to go to the clinic for a blood test since the HPTs were coming back negative. We get to the clinic at 4:15. It took all of about 5 seconds once we got through the signing in. They told us to call them in an hour, but the clinic closed at 5. There was no way that I could go on feeling ill all of Thanksgiving. I needed to know if we were expecting or not so I could take some medicine if it was the latter.

The call:
Nick was just starting to mow and I called him to come to the bench I was sitting on. I called and put it on speaker phone...."just in case." The girl said that she needed to see if the results were back. She gets back on the phone and nonchalantly says, "Oh yeah, they're back.It's positive!" You could have hit us with a brick and we wouldn't have felt it. We started laughing and hugging. It was AMAZING! I've never felt so wonderful in my entire life. I can't imagine what's in store for us.

Telling the parents:
There was no way that we could keep the news in. I wanted to shout it from the rooftop! We are only one month along, but there was no way to wait until Christmas like we thought. That morning we decided that we HAD to tell everyone. We had to have some cute way to tell our parents, but being Thanksgiving all the cute stores in town were closed. I ran to Wal-Mart and bought two shirts and two packages of the iron-on rhinestones. Nick and I ironed "Grandma To Be" on both shirts. We went to his parents house. Nick gave the shirt to his mom and said that I bought her a Thanksgiving shirt. She opened it up, read it, read it again and started screaming! It was hilarious and soooo cool. His dad asked to see it since he didn't know what was going on. His eyes about popped out of his head. Wanda showed it to Grams and she lit up. Being nearly 95 and this being her first great-grandbaby, all she said was, "I will get to play with it for a while and it's going to be so spoiled!" After we talked awhile, we went to Grandma Popp's for Thanksgiving lunch. Wanda wore her shirt in and they were all excited and surprised. According to their data, we should have a girl, but I'm not sure how they figured it. On the way to Shiner we called "Auntie Sarah Beth" to tell her the news. I hated to tell her over the phone, but I had to before Jake could tell her. She squealed with excitement. Then I was talking to Jill on the phone and there was no way I could keep it in. She had already left for Austin so I wasn't going to see her until Friday. She knew that I was sick all week and already thought I was pregnant until I threw her a curveball and texted her a sad face. I asked her what she thought about being an Auntie and she squealed with excitement as well. When we got to my parent's house they were watching the Dallas football game. After a little while we went into the kitchen and I gave Mom her shirt. She was scared to open it because she thought it was a prank and something was going to jump out of it. When she looked at it she didn't believe it. She showed it to Dad and he started laughing. They hugged, kissed, and congratulated us. Jamie came in and saw the shirt and again, more hugs and congrats. We called Jaace in from outside and he read the shirt. He got a big grin on his face and said he wants a boy.

Friday we did the mild version of Black Friday. We left at 6 instead of our usual 3 am and headed to Austin to meet up with Jill. We went to the mall and Jill and I had to check out the baby stuff at Dillards. It took all I had to not buy anything already. I also ran into Janie and Jack and one maternity store to see what I'm doomed to wear in the future. "Uncle Cat" met us at Trudy's for lunch where I had to skip out on the Mexican Martini that he indulged in. We made a quick trip to Lakeline Mall and then hit up a few wedding dress shops where Jamie found a dress. We finally made it home at about 9:30 that night. Several people were at the poolhouse and heard our news. Saturday morning we went to Mamaw and Papa's. Mamaw's jaw dropped and she started laughing when we told them that they were great-grandparents again. On our way out of Shiner we made our way to Mamo's in Sweet Home. She started showing us quilts that she's working on and I told her she's going to have to start making a baby quilt. She looked at me and said, "Well, Jenny, you're pregernt?!?!" We laughed and she hugged us.

On our way home from Sweet Home I called all of my girlfriends and sent out bunches of text messages. Thank you all for all of your love and support. We are still on cloud 9 and are so blessed. If anyone has a good doctor in the Houston/Sugar Land area, pass on the info. Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.

Even though we have a long time, we already can't wait to meet our Little Munchkin.

7 comments:

*Jillian Leigh* said...

I can't wait. I pretty much look at the baby section at every store I go to now! I am so excited and that baby is going to be so spoiled...not only by me but Uncle Thomas too...he doesn't stop talking about it. We are finally going to have a baby around the house again...it will never learn to walk since we will all want to hold it all the time...lol!

zackandjenn said...

Congratulations Jenny and Nick! This is very exciting news. The family will have an extremely busy and FUN 2009! We'll be looking forward to meeting the newest family member!

Jamie C said...

I used to go to a Gyno in SugarLand at Methodist Hospital (right there by the mall). She was really good. And my friend Amy's mother in law is a RN (maybe pediatric) down there too. So let me know if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

oh Jenny...I am sooooo excited for you both. I have to admit I am a little jealous too! I will pray that everything goes perfectly for you and that you will start feeling better real soon! Congratulations!

Abby said...

So excited!! If you need anything just have Nick stop by on his way home to pick it up!!

Jocelyn said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What happy and exciting news!

crch said...

Congratulations!! How exciting!