Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Our oh, so crazy weekend

Friday we jet out of Wharton at 5:00pm. We were making good time until I had to use the restroom in Flatonia. That was about a 2 minute stop. We get back on I-10 and a few minutes down the road, I ask Nick if he grabbed the apartment key out of his truck. Of course not! Now what? Do we go on or head to Shiner? A trooper is behind us with his lights on....looks like we are Shiner bound since we'll be getting a ticket. Instead, the trooper zooms past us and the cars ahead of us are putting on their brakes. We ended up coming to a complete stop for 1.5 hours. We walk around, call Jake's apartment to see if they will let us in and they won't. We are starving at this point. It ended up being a major accident with 2 life flights. We decide to head to San Marcos and just find a hotel if we can't break into his apartment. We get to Luling and Nick looks at me and says he just thought of something crappy. What now? Well, we decided to leave our season tickets at Jake's apartment so that we would have them no matter what. We figured that we would probably end up leaving them in Wharton if we didn't keep them in SM. We never thought about what we would do if we forgot the key to the apartment. We finally make it to San Marcos. Food was the only thing on our minds. We had been talking about River Pub the whole trip so that's where we headed. We get there at 9 and there's a 30 minute wait, which is ALWAYS the case. 9:30 we are seated. Since we both get the same thing every time, it didn't take us long to order. We're sitting there about to gnaw our arms off until 10:15 when some lady comes and says they are "plating our food up right now." No prob! Our food comes out and it is COLD! I was soooooooooooooooooooooo mad. I look at the waitress and ask if she can explain why we waited 45 minutes for cold food. Nick and I ordered the same exact meal. It wasn't like one took longer than the other. I HATE cold food...I'm definitely my father's daughter. I didn't get the nickname "Chip" (off the old block) from his old buddies for nothing. She says that the computers are down in the back and they had to handwrite all of the orders. And......???? That wasn't a good enough excuse for me. She said that she would take it back. Ha...so they could spit in it, no thanks! So, I eat it cold and Nick is ticked at me because I was complaining. Needless to say, it wasn't our best, most fun dining experience with each other. As we are eating, he says that all the hotels are probably full. That would be our luck, which is also like my father's! We stop at several places and most of them only had a room or two open that were smoking and some I'd rather not stay at. We finally found one decent place for a decent price and called it a night. Saturday was a much better day. We spent several hours shopping at the Outlet Mall and then we had Herbert's, which was a much better dining experience. The food is always smoking hot and delish. We contemplated buying tickets to the game, but I opted for spending the money on house stuff. I don't mind going to the games, but I'd much rather shop. The season tickets were just an excuse to get to go to San Marcos anyways. That evening we head to Shiner. Sunday we hung out with the parents and Jill and Tom for a while. We went back to Wharton pretty early. We took the backroads to Nada, which is normal for us. I see a deer looking right at us in the ditch and start pointing and trying to tell Nick, but it wouldn't come out! There was also a motorcycle in the other lane coming, which he thought I was pointing at. The deer runs out right in front of us and Nick slams on the brakes. We barely, and I mean barely miss it. I'm pretty sure that the deer might be missing some hair off the side of it, but that's all. That's all we would have needed to end the crazy weekend, but we lucked out.

2 comments:

Jamie C said...

Holy smokes!!! What a weekend!!!

Here's to a big bottle of wine and hoping this weekend is BETTER!!!

Love ya

Tracy said...

I just knew as I reading that y'all were going to hit the dear! I'm glad it was just a near miss, but bummer about the rest of the weekend.