Friday, July 13, 2007

Stroke of Good Luck

Just when you think things can't get any better, they do! For the past (almost) 2 years I have been VERY blessed. First of all, I met Nick. Two years of a PERFECT relationship went by. Got engaged. Got a new job teaching kindergarten. Everything seemed picture perfect except for the job part. If you're a teacher, you know that finding a kinder job anywhere is difficult. I was lucky and one opened up in Eagle Lake and I got it. I signed the contract and was happy that I had some sort of income. The only thing that I wasn't so pleased about was the 25 minute drive there. With the price of gas we figured that it would cost about $2000-$2500 a year, plus wear and tear on my car. On top of that I was already going to take a pay cut of about $3500, maybe even more. Basically, I would make LESS than what I did as a first year teacher. UGH! I never found out exactly, partially because I didn't want to know. So figure, $6000 pay cut for a couple starting out...that's a lot of money! I pretty much wrote it off and would suck it up for a year. WELL....Tuesday I get a call from Mrs. Popp saying that a lady resigned! No way! The job has to be posted for 10 days before they can hire anyone. I was kinda bummed because I didn't think I would get it. The principal there already knew I had a job at Rice CISD, where her kids go to school and she really wanted me there...partially to see if I could help coach. She set up an interview for Thursday. I really had a bad feeling about it. I was hesitant to even go to the interview. I had an interview with Wharton ISD before for a job that wasn't even opened, so I was bummed. I went to the interview, thought it was horrible, and wrote the job off. I was told that they would hire someone that day because people had to be out of contracts the next day, which is TODAY! The principal then came into Mrs. Popp's room and said they were going to wait and hire after the 10 day period, so I was pretty much out of the running because I had to get my resignation in the next day. STRESS!!! I wanted this job more than anyone! This morning I went on my 3 mile walk, I wanted to get it over with because Nick was coming home tonight. He has been gone all week for State Ag Convention in Corpus Christi. {I miss him terribly!} Anyways, Mrs. Popp drove up to me as I was walking. I was on the phone with TSTA, my teacher organization, just to find out the laws on the 10 day job posting, etc. She mouthed to me that Sally (the principal) called her. She didn't look to happy. Just great, I was not happy! So I stayed on the phone waiting to get some answers when she said I got the job! WoooooHooooo! $5000-$6000 pay raise and best of all NOOO driving! I'm so super pumped about the job. Sally is awesome, I know lots of people there, get to work at least a year with my Mother-In-Law. I can't wait to tell Nick. I'm trying to wait til he gets home tonight so I can tell him in person. It's really hard!!! It's kinda like getting engaged all over again....waiting to tell everyone. This goes to show....NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Oh yeah, well today is the final day for resignations to be granted...basically without having to do any begging. So I've been busy faxing, emailing, and sending my resignation to Rice CISD today. Keep your fingers crossed that this all works out like it is supposed to!

No comments: