Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Things Husbands & Wives Should Not Do With Each Other

#1-Working cows!
Maybe I should write a book about top 10 things that married people should not do with each other. I searched for suggestions online and couldn't find anything. Well, today Nick needed help "working" his cows. FYI, "working" cows means worming them. I thought it was like excersing or something. I probably should have known this since I'm from the country, but I didn't. I told him that it was a bad idea for me to help with this job, and boy, was I right! Our first job was to pen several cows in Wharton to haul to Pledger. We had to pen ALL of the cows in order to do this. We got them all in the pen except for 3 calves. One calf we couldn't get in was the one Nick needed the most. My job was to shoo them at one point and to watch the gate. I was in the process of shooing him and he ran through the barbed wire fence into an open cotton field. Nick was SOOOOO MAD!!!! He took off running through the field after the calf. He was trying to yell at me to do something, but I couldn't make out what he was saying so I hid behind the trailer tire. I thought I was scaring the calf when he saw me. Well, Nick wanted me to scare him back towards him. Instead the calf went right passed me, heading for the road. Nick yelled at me to get in the truck and go to the main gate to see if I could get him in there. I told him that I wasn't driving the truck because it had his gooseneck trailer hooked up behind it. I can drive it straight, but I would have had to back it up and stuff which probably would have dented his truck. Nick hops the fence and gets in the truck. He high-tailed it down the pasture and to the gate. Somehow it worked out perfectly and the calf ended up coming back into the pasture when he opened the gate. It was TERRIBLE! We give up trying to bring this calf to the other pasture since the calf was exhausted. (Nick was too!) We go to Pledger to "work" all the cows there. I try to be a better helper, but I failed again. We got most of them penned up except for one that he wanted to take to the auction barn. I talked Nick into keep trying and a couple fled out as we were trying to get one in. Not nearly as horrible as the earlier experience. So, we start to load the one of the two calves that are going to the sale. One was already easily loaded. The problem was that we had two calves in the chute rather than just the one that needed to go. I told Nick that they'd probably both hop in the trailer, but he still had faith in me. Needless to say, both of them ran into the trailer! We had a hard time getting the smaller one out, but after some poking and prodding with a stick and cane, we got him out. If I wouldn't have ran away when the cows started running at me, we probably wouldn't have had any problems, but I don't trust those animals.

I'm happy to report that we are still married! The best news out of this entire day is that I don't ever have to "work" cows again. He'll probably just send me shopping! Nick was aggravated with me quite a bit today, but he always came back and kissed me and apologized. I'm a bit worried that the calf that got out might be dead. We'll find out in a little while when we go check on him. I'm sure I'll be in BIG TROUBLE if he dies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like quite an ordeal. I had no idea what "working" cows meant either but I'm sure no one would have asked me to help. *Bonnie

Tracy said...

I thought working cows was feeding them and filling up the tank with water. It sounds a ton easier than what y'all did, but at least I now know never to volunteer to work cows.

I want to add that I don't think spouses do any kind of work together. I always tell Chris that I would never work for him - he's a slave driver and he about killed me when we were fixing up the rent house.

Abby said...

It cracks me up that Nick ever thought you working cows was a good idea! I only know what "working cows" is from the Pioneer Woman! Ahh what blogs have taught me.

Next time Nick should invite me too and then you would look like an angel!!

To bad there is no video of you chasing cows!! I'm thinking of heading to the mall on Friday...want to go?