Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My very own piss bucket!

Excuse the yuck-o word. It's really a word that I don't like, and very seldom use, but it has a story behind it that I had to blog about.

When I was very little, like 3ish, I remember going with my family and Mamaw and Papa to a doctor's appointment in Houston. Well, I think it was in Houston and I think it was something to do with accupuncture that she had to have. I'll have to ask someone else all the details. Papa has always chewed Levi Garrett tobacco. When we were little we would feed his bad habit and give a case or something like that to him for Christmas. (Nick has shared with me that he and his brothers would also give his Gramps tobacco for gifts!) He always had his "spit can" or "spit bucket." While we were at the waiting room, I asked him about his "piss bucket" because I evidently couldn't say spit. It kinda stuck and I remember calling it that throughout my childhood. Every once in a while there is still reference to his "piss bucket."

When I was at the doctor and they told me that I would have to do a protein sample, I had no idea what that would entail. Well, it entailed this....



Collecting urine for 24 hours. It was gross and terrible and the longest 24 hours ever. When they handed me this jug, I immediately looked at Nick and told him it was my own piss bucket! So, we had to turn in the 24 hour urine collection in and they tested it for protein. If it would have had protein in it, that would have meant that I had pregnancy induced hypertension or preeclampsia which is not good. We are still watching my blood pressure very closely and there's still a chance that I might have to do this test again. So far it seems like I probably have underlying high blood pressure, which is still not good, but it's better than pregnancy induced. That's how we understand it anyways.

No comments: